Saturday, October 10, 2026

 


 "I have nothing to say to you, but what I have already said: simply obey the Holy Spirit, without listening to your own reason or fancy. 

No doubt you recognize you have a terrible bias to dissipation, the wasteful spending and squandering of resources, a lifestyle of unrestrained pleasure-seeking and a state of self-satisfaction and pride that is completely unjustified, unearned, and based on an illusion of achievement; you love to be praised, and you praise yourself; you find in your reason and natural courage, a strength which nourishes pride. 

Nothing but honest, quiet reflection can destroy this vain life, and moderate your insupportable lively, high-spirited, energetic, restlessness. 

“Let your thirst for understanding seek less, and let your heart give itself up more. Everything that seems to satisfy your intellect only puffs it up: you imagine you are nourishing your zeal, when in fact you are nourishing your pride. 

The point is not to know a great deal, but to know how to become more lowly, a child in the hands of God, of whom  I beg, not only to make you lowly, but to make you as nothing.” Fenelon.


No comments: