“My letters of ordination are my zeal, my charity,
and if I were more learned, I would add my knowledge,
but alas! we all know very little;
to man every error is pardonable but lack of humility.”
I've known a lot of "Street Preachers," have you known any?
The ones I've known came in all types.
I knew one called Preacher Ray, a white guy that used to preach downtown Portland in the 70's and he was the first street preacher I ever met that truly had the anointing with power that was unmistakeable!
Such boldness, such clarity of mind, absolutely unashamed of the gospel of Christ.
He would arrest the attention with his bold call to the crowd,
and in minutes there would be a crowd around him; listening, heckling, shouting amens, but never ignored.
I used to tag along with another street preacher years later and he too, had that holy boldness and arresting spirit.
I remember a Pastor, Duane Driver, he too would share Christ anywhere!
In his tiny little church that ministered to the transient people of Portland,
or in a bar where he would take his guitar, and his talent, and sing about Jesus,
or giving puppet shows to children in the park.
When he was behind the pulpit his preaching blistered the paint right off the walls! Pierced the heart as though you were sitting at the feet of Jesus!
These, and many others, truly had the gift of preaching,
not some smooth, talent that intrigued and impressed,
no outward show or manipulation of the emotions,
no carefully crafted performance,
but raw, real, authentic power
that resonated in your heart,
humbled your spirit,
and made you hunger for more of God,
whether you had great faith, or no faith at all.
They preached with a fire that can't be manufactured or taught in seminaries or classrooms.
I rarely see or hear anything that comes near what 50 years ago was pretty common.
Sermons with passion, proportionate to the times, Spirit led words that bore fruit, power that led to revivals.
A message of Christ's love that would shake the leaves off the trees!

No comments:
Post a Comment