Monday, June 06, 2005

Old Paths

The following is in the introduction to Thomas Brook's book on satan's devices. His illustrations broaden every chapter.....

"And now, if thou pleasest, read the work, and receive this counsel from me.
First, Thou must know that every man cannot be excellent, that yet may be useful. An iron key may unlock the door of a golden treasure, yea, iron can do some things that gold cannot.

Secondly, Remember, it is not hasty reading, but serious meditating, upon holy and heavenly truths, that makes them prove sweet and profitable to the soul. It is not the bee's touching of the flower that gathers the honey, but her abiding for a time upon the flower that draws out the sweet.

Thirdly, Reader, if it be not strong upon thy heart to practise what thou readest, to what end dost thou read? To increase thy own condemnation?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Condeming myself!!! Without fail if I read something that I agree with deeply or resonates with me for some reason, within hours I am confronted with myself making the very same trespass. Perhaps it's a warning the reading has given me, but I am at loss to stop it. Like a dream that you cannot control or deja vu. Reading is not enough for my thick skull, I am given the sting of experience afterwards. -Matt

FCB said...

Yep, that third part is the one that makes me squirm. I like to read, I am fed, I think I may even find some growth, somewhere. But in reading and hearing it seems like it can call down condemnation, because my bliss of ignorance no longer comforts me.
Maybe I'll just watch a video.