Friday, August 03, 2012

Gentle spirit

 " In Contrast to false and delusive affections, truly gracious affections are associated with the gentle spirit of Jesus Christ. Like the lamb and the dove, they promote a spirit of love, meekness, quietness, forgiveness, and mercy as seen in Christ. 
  Evidence of this in Scripture is abundant. If we judge the true nature of Christianity and the proper spirit of the gospel by the word of God, this may well be called Christian spirit. It is the distinguishing disposition in the hearts of Christians to be identified as Christians. 
  When some of the disciples spoke in weakness and inconsideration, Christ reprimanded them saying they knew not of what manner of spirit they were (Luke 9:55). He implied that theirs was not the proper spirit of His kingdom. But all who are truly godly and are real disciples of Christ have a gentle spirit in them. This spirit so possess and governs them that it becomes their true and proper character. This is evident by what the wise man says: "A man of understanding is of an excellent spirit (Proverbs 17:27)." Christ, when he describes the qualities and temper of those that are truly blessed, says, "Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth. Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy. Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God" (Matt. 5:5, 7, 9.)"

  This piece comes from Jonathan Edward's book "Religious Affections." I so admire this spirit when I see it in people, and it is in me at times but I wouldn't say of myself that this spirit possess and governs me. Rather, there is the tension that I battle with daily, part angel, part beast. But I want more of it and all the ground I have ever gained was by it.

Picture from the Internet.

No comments: