Saturday, August 27, 2016



 "Those who have means and are willing, each according to his own choice, gives what he wills, and what is collected is deposited with the president. He provides for the orphans and widows, those who are in need on account of sickness or some other cause, those who are in bonds, strangers who are sojourning, and in a word he becomes the protector of all who are in need.”
Justin Martyr, early church father. 

This quote is part of a teaching about how to conduct service in the early church. I know I depart from the majority when I say I believe that this represents New Testament giving. I think the world would be reached far more if we adopted this way of giving, though our churches would be measurably more modest. I love thinking of the church as "the protector of all who are in need." 

No comments: