Tuesday, October 02, 2018


 
 "I cannot tell you how surprised I was the first time I felt my heart begin to warm. It was real warmth, not imaginary, and it felt as if it were actually on fire. I was astonished at the way the heat surged up and how this new sensation brought great and unexpected comfort. I had to keep feeling my breast to make sure there was no physical reason for it. 
  But once I realized it came entirely from within, that the fires of love had no cause, material or sinful, but was the gift of my Maker. I was absolutely delighted, and wanted my love to be even greater. And this longing was all the more urgent because the delightful effect and the interior sweetness which this spiritual flame fed into my soul. Before the infusion of this comfort, I had never thought that we exiles could possibly have know such warmth, so sweet was the devotion it kindled. It set my soul aglow as if a real fire was burning there."  Richard Rolle, from "The Spiritual Flame." 

No comments: