Thursday, December 20, 2018

Grace


"Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies." Ps.23:5

  "Christ's is the only religion that spreads a table in the presence of its enemies. This is very remarkable, because there is no religion which hates sin like that of Jesus. The only faith that will admit to its table a guest with soiled robes is the faith that, of all others, desires purity. 
The Brahman must have the flesh crucified before the river of life joins the great sea. The Greek must have the flesh beautified before earth can be an object of interest to heaven. The Roman must have the flesh fortified before so weak a thing as man can be enrolled in the coming kingdom.
But Christ accepts us for an aspiration, for a sigh, for a tear. He lets us sit down as we are, without one plea of present excellence. He lets us come to His communion when we are beneath man's communion.
All other teachers cry, "Be ye cleansed and come." He says, "Come and be cleansed." They tell me to put on the white robes that I may enter heaven; He bids me enter heaven that I may put on the white robes. They bid the prodigal to reform, and he will allowed to get back; He enjoins him to come back, and he will have a chance to reform. He prepares our table in the presence of our enemies.
  I thank God that I am judged, not by fact, but by faith. I thank God that I am allowed to sit down in the midst of my foes. You have accepted me Lord, not for what I am, but for what I should like to be. You have measured me, not by the attainments of my life, but by the glance of my eye. I have no power to paint even a stroke; but my gaze rests on a perfect model. You have measured me by that gaze, O my Father. You have seen me in the portrait-gallery, ignorant of the very elements of art, but "Looking to Jesus." That look has redeemed me in your sight. In the very presence of my enemies You have seen me. Ignorant, powerless, unable to put my hand to one stroke of beauty, with nothing but the admiring eye, You have seen me. You have accepted my promise as a fulfillment; You have paid me in advance. You have imputed to me my tomorrow and ignored my yesterday. You have given me a summer for the song of a first swallow. You have sent me a full-blown flower in exchange for a primrose. You have prepared for me a place at the feast above my station. You have furnished my house beyond my means. You have sent me gifts for which I have no room in my present dwelling. My table is in the wilderness; my bow is in the cloud; my ark is in the flood; my song is in the night; my road is on the sea; my peace is in the storm; my Christ is in the manger; my crown is on the cross. I have been chosen by you in the presence of Your enemies."

George Matheson.

No comments: