Wednesday, September 14, 2022

Man Camp 22


 

Man Camp 2022, my experience. 

I joined about fifty men this year for a five-day camping trip. I had no clear understanding what would take place, but I knew there would be about every activity an outdoor loving person could want. Jet skis, motorcycles, quads, shooting firearms, archery, knife and axe throwing, badminton, corn holing, blacksmithing, horseshoes, hiking, fishing, lake and creek swimming, and hearty meals! What more could you want??

This was not exclusively a Christian camp-out; there were some non-believers, some seekers and some new Christians as well as strong Christian men.

I heard about how meaningful the evenings were when all the men would gather around a campfire. 

I expected there to be times with rich and meaningful Bible study, spirited singing and praise. This was where I was most surprised; there was none; no Bible study, no singing nor any praise. 

What I did see were men leaders whose hearts were filled with Word of God, His compassion and love for all, and whose words were Christ like, supportive, earnestly and brutally honest, reaching out to make sure every man felt loved, included and wanted.

I think it's safe to say all men do not share their deep feelings easily, quickly, or honestly; but Pastor Eric has worked with men for thirty years and his experience in reaching the hearts of others is nothing short of masterful. Eric, and the men he surrounds himself with, have varied appearances but the same heart, to see Christ reign within, and to restore what's been lost and strengthen what remains; and that active and earnest spirit soon created a sense of community and connection every person hungers for.

I've been a Christian for over fifty years and I've never seen a large group, many of which were strangers, transform into a true, living church where men opened their hearts, spilled out their deepest hurts and were willing to confess and share so vulnerably; and in such a short time. Tears flowed, prayers poured out, shoulders heaving in the embrace of men with one agenda, to lift a brother up! 

So my deepest thanks, and my sincerest appreciation to my son Pastor Eric, and the true men of God who worked together tirelessly to share the heart of Christ, the warmth of the Spirit and the love of God in ways that left every one of us changed.   

Of course one of the greatest joys was being with my family! 

 "The father of a righteous man has great joy; he who has a wise son delights in him." Pr. 23:24

No comments: