Sunday, September 24, 2023


 

At our service at the Union Gospel Mission, I met a young man whose face I didn't recognize.

It was his first day at the mission and I haven't seen a more needy, despondent looking guy.

He was early twenties I'd guess, very thin, faced sunburned, hair greasy and unkempt.

He sat slouched in a way that made me think he was trying to be invisible. In short, he looked scared, lonely and defeated.

I greeted him when I came in, and sat down beside him when I finished preaching.

We talked for a few minutes and I asked if I could pray for him. When I finished praying, I reached to give him a hug and he just collapsed into me, burying his head in my chest.

A more pathetic and needy young man I've never seen.

The love for him just gushed within me, and I woke up haunted by him, wishing I could help him adjust to the crazy world of mission life; where there is so much clamor, everyone is busy about themselves and a timid guy like him can often just get lost in the cracks and wash out.

I prayed he wouldn't, but I feared he would.


Update - He's adjusting and seems to be doing well!

No comments: