Saturday, May 22, 2010

"I advise you not to be troubled by what you hear of other folk's experience, but keep close to the written Word, where you will meet with much to encourage you though you often feel yourself weary and heavy laden. For my own part, I like that path best which is well beaten by the footsteps of the flock, though it is not always pleasant and strewed with flowers. In our way, we find some hills, from whence we can cheerfully look about us; but we meet with deep valleys likewise, and seldom travel long upon even ground." John Newton


I like this practical piece of advice, and have found it so in my life. There have been times when I sought after a deeper more mystical relationship with God and it may be I should have sought it more instead of leaving off for more common ground; but, be that as it may, I have found the well beaten path the safest ground and God has not been hindered by my choice, I find myself atop hills and mountains even though my destination was to walk on level ground.

Photo from the Internet

1 comment:

Joseph Pulikotil said...

Hello Fred:)

Very practical wisdom and down to earth message.

As long as we keep close to the written word, we are safe. But once we give ear to what other people say, then we are bound to be assailed with too many doubts which can shake us to the very foundation of our faith.

Lovely message.

Best wishes Fred:)
Joseph