Friday, April 03, 2015


  "The friendship of Epaminondas and Pelopidas is celebrated in Grecian history.

At the battle of Mantinea, they locked their shields together and fought, repulsing all enemies, until Pelopidas fell upon a heap of dead, himself bleeding from many wounds. Epaminondas resolved to die rather than leave the body of his friend, whom he supposed to be dead. Badly wounded himself, he fought till rescue came, and both were saved. From that day their friendship became proverbial. They were made generals of the Theban army, of equal authority, and no envy or rivalry ever existed between them while they lived."

When I read stories like this it inspires me but it makes me sad that I have cultivated so few deep relationships in my life. But for school-boy friends, my adult life has been vacant of anything close to this story. 

No comments: