Tuesday, November 13, 2018



  Adversity, though none of us would ask for it, brings out our best, and from it we grow and mature. And when Jesus brings us those who are heavy laden and facing life's greatest trials, so we can love, encourage and help them in their deep adversity; we encounter problems so complex, lives so tangled with sorrow, sin and tragedy, that we soon see the miraculous hand of Christ working miracles to make a way, where there simply is no way.
Last night I witnessed that very thing at the jail where a thirtyish woman joined our service in her wheel chair. As the crush of people streamed in I recognized her face and mentioned it to her and she replied, "yes, I was here five years ago, but I was taller then." At first that took me by surprise and I didn't know what she meant, but as she wheeled in the room I saw she had no legs from the knees down. I later noticed she only had nubs where fingers once were.  While swimming in the Clackamas River with friends she scratched her leg on a rock, nothing serious, but it developed into the life threatening, flesh eating bacteria which ravaged her body and nearly took her life.
  Now there she sat, and after service I talked to this smiling, composed, mature young woman. I was immediately drawn to her warm and gracious charm; such strength of character was displayed as she recounted her tragedy and her long struggle, both physically and emotionally, over the last five years. When she attended the meeting five years ago she was just beginning to listen to the things of God, being raised an agnostic, now she sits a true believer.

  I woke this morning with thoughts of her swirling in my mind, and as I consider all the amazing people Jesus has introduced me to over my Christian life, in the most unlikely places, like the jail, the nursing homes, missions and rehab organizations, I remember the promise Jesus gives us --          
"Give, and you will receive. Your gift will return to you in full--pressed down, shaken together to make room for more, running over, and poured into your lap. The amount you give will determine the amount you get back."

No comments: