Saturday, November 03, 2018



Answering Him

"When shall I be a man? he said,
As I was putting him to bed.
"How many years will have to be
Before time makes a man of me?
And will I be a man when I
Am grown up big?" I heaved a sigh,
Because it called for careful thought
To give the answer that he sought.
And so I sat him on my knee,
And said to him: "A man you'll be
When you have learned that honor brings
More joy than all the crowns of kings;
That it is better to be true
To all who know and trust in you
Than all the gold of earth to gain
If winning it shall leave a stain.
When you can bravely fight for victory sweet,
Yet bravely swallow down defeat.
And cling to hope and keep the right,
When you are kind and brave and clean,
And fair to all and never mean;
Nor use deceit instead of might;
When there is good in all you plan
That day, my boy, you'll be a man."
Edgar A. Guest. 



No comments: