Monday, January 11, 2021


 

Why do I love God? What a great question! Not one I can answer in a few words, so forgive me if I get a bit long winded and mix some quotes of others with my answer. The reason I love God is because Jesus Christ revealed to me by His words, actions and presence at my time of my greatest need, the exact representation of God, because Jesus is the radiance of God's glory and the exact representation of His nature and moral goodness. And I can't think of another reason we would love God, or any person, apart from their moral goodness. It is the moral beauty and grandeur of His character to which alone we are bound to pay homage. The claim of God to the love of his offspring rests on the virtue, benevolence, generosity, mercy and compassion of His will. I can't imagine any being that can have any claim to affection but what rests on his character, meaning by this, the spirit and principles which constitute his mind and from which he acts. In Jesus we see His spotless purity, His moral perfection, His unrivaled goodness. It is the spirit of His religion, which is the Spirit of God. From this view you see that love to Jesus is a perfectly "natural" sentiment, and by that I mean, our natural sense of right, our conscience and our reason joins and approves His words; and our minds are constituted to feel and to cherish the words and example given to us in Christ, and they harmonize with the noblest instincts and highest aspirations of our soul. This description contains my thoughts and the thoughts of others that love Him and can express it far better than I: but my heart resonates with every line.

No comments: