Monday, January 10, 2022


   A friend recommended I watch the movie "The Tender Bar." I had no idea what it was about and I began with my typical barriers up. "Why didn't they choose a charming child star? Who is this unknown that has no appeal? Why so much cussing? I don't think I'm going to like this......" and on I went with my critical spirit. 

But not long into the film I realized exactly why they chose this cast, and I was completely captivated by the wonderful, charming little boy star and as each person wove their way into my heart I was so taken by this film and so moved by how they portrayed family love and nurture, the support of friends and the life changing impact it makes. 

It struck chords so deep within me I found tears kept welling up and my heart was so deeply affected. Not until the movie was over did I realize I was mourning for what was portrayed on screen. Ben Affleck represented to me the father I wish I had, and I developed such a fondness for him by the time the film was over I found myself choking back emotions, and still, as I write this. The impact of loving family members and an adult environment that takes you under their wing and has your back, well, how can one measure how much better of a man, Father and husband one would be having this kind of support? If you grew up having these things, forever be grateful. Surely it is one of life's greatest gifts.

No comments: