Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Francois de Salignac de la Mothe Fenelon

If you have never read Fenelon, you are missing great words of an honest friend. He was the Archbishop of Cambria, France, as well as a spiritual advisor of a number of earnest people seeking Fenelon's wise direction. Always encouraging them to press on towards the goal of Christian perfection. Truly a spiritual giant, his works should be read in a slow meditative manner. Many of his letters have been preserved and his candid, warm, advice is a must for Christians of our day. Here's a sample---

"It has been a long time since I've written to you, but let me assure you that I am just as attached to you through our Lord as I ever was. In fact, I am more attached now. And I want with all my heart for you to have that same peace and joy in your home which you enjoyed at the beginning. It should be remembered that even the best of people leave much to be desired, and we must not expect too much. We need to be very patient with the faults of others. The most perfect people in the world have many imperfections, and so do we. And sometimes it is quite difficult for us to tolerate each other. We are to "bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ", and I think this means, among other things, that we are to bear the burden of each others imperfections. Peaceful and harmonious relationships can be helped a great deal if people just learn to be quiet, to be prayerful, and to keep surrendered to the Lord."

No comments: