Saturday, February 01, 2020


 I love children, I've reared five children and two grandchildren, and this poem captures the joy of children better than anything I've ever read. Enjoy -- 

  "We take shelter in children to escape oblivion. We ask the child to drag around the unwieldy weight of magic. To clap wildly. To believe in what we believe in no longer. We ask the child to keep the awe we forgot hot to hold. The fairy isn't the fairy. It's the child who is the fairy. It's the child who is the enchanted, a metaphor, a shape-shifter. My sons keep bursting out of their skin. They smell like poppies, warm earth, milk. And then one day, out of nowhere, they won't anymore. They are losing their baby teeth at what seems an alarming rate. Adult teeth bloom in their mouths. Their limbs grow longer like shadows. For whom is a child's childhood? I think it's for all of us. But it's not for when we are children. Our childhoods are for later." 
Orah Mark, I am the Tooth Fairy. 


 

No comments: