Monday, June 29, 2020


 Whenever I make a post there is always a conflict, and on many levels: is it to shocking; will it cause too much controversy; will I get embroiled in a defense of my post, is it in good taste without hiding the realities of the world we live in and minister in?  With this particular photo I'm up now at 3:00 A.M. because I awoke with her image haunting my mind. Many thoughts have been circling my mind; one is, "when we think of soul winning do we think of those like her?" Then I considered the family of this woman, if she has any, and either how glad they would be to find her because sometimes a family member just disappears, leaving so many unknowns. Or maybe they never sought to find out where she was, and in seeing this photo they would be shocked and shamed by their lack of concern. Then of course there is the shock value of this photo, it shames us as a society; it saddens us as a fellow human beings; and it motivates us to do what Paul commanded us to do, and that is "meet the pressing needs." She is our neighbor, although many hide their eyes from these harsh realities. This is a national disgrace to me, certainly a national disgrace for Christians; here certainly is the "least of these" and surely this is "an angel in disguise" and surely we will meet those like her on judgment day; and hopefully this woman will strike the heart strings of some young Christian woman seeking the Lord on how and where she can serve. This woman and I'll call her Grace, should serve to remind us the battle is hot; the times are evil; the workers are few; and the tears should flow for her and those countless others like her. When I was working at the mission this wasn't an uncommon thing; Extreme Complex Trauma causes so many mental problems, as well as addictions, and suicides. This woman, and many like her live on the streets all alone, and with that comes abuse, violence and judgment; but little mercy. So I hope this photo goes viral, and serves to admonish and motivate every Christian that sees it to be involved in the pressing needs of our generation. The most troubling thing is by far the majority like her are Christian brothers and sisters; and that is to our shame. So to me, what's not appropriate about the photo is that it exists in America where many name the name of Christ.

My son Pastor Eric, made a comment when I posted this on Facebook, I think I'll include it because it hits the mark in my estimation. 

"In my experience working with the homeless this is not a statement about those things but a statement about the brokenness of our society: sin, soul, home, community and the systems intertwined. Abuse, addictions and mental health are at the epicenter as well, because of coping or just mixed in the madness, it’s all wrapped up into one tragic mess. This is or was someone’s daughter. God helped her is my prayer. May she be clothed in her right mind by the power of Christ and reclothed in dignity and modesty by the good work of those serving the lost and broken to the glory of God and the revival of goodness, truth and beauty in our cities." 

No comments: