Sunday, June 07, 2020


Tell me about Jesus.
I was chatting with a young woman from the Ukraine today and when we ended our chat, she sent me another message later; it simply said - "Tell me about Jesus." She is a Christian but struggling with her mustard seed faith; this is what I wrote back --
"Tell me about Jesus." Oh I love to tell the story!
You know, the Bible is a strange book, filled with so many wonderful, frightening, mysterious, threatening, intimate, compassionate and loving things. I know some struggle when they read the things that are threatening, and I get that, but I never have. I was not looking for Jesus when He came and found me, when I opened up the Bible and began to read about Him all I heard were His words of love, compassion and as each story unfolded where He would touch someone with His compassion and love I formed my indelible idea of who He is and always will be.
Now I suppose I struggle with the Christian life as much as anyone, but He has never let me go, never ceased to show me mercy; and I have fallen many times, hurt many over my life and gone places I never thought I would, and because of that, at times I found myself miles from Him, and the emptiness was unbearable. But in some way He would always rescue me, draw me back to His breast and hold me and reassure me that He loved me still.
He would direct me to look at the birds of he air, that they do not sow or gather into barns, but He feeds them, and am I now worth much more than they?
Oh I love to tell the story, of Jesus and His love. So when I read a verse or a story in the Bible that makes me fear or unworthy, I just run back to him, and like one of my favorite authors said -
" Oh, what a tender and sympathetic God has come for us. I do not ask you to lay hold of him. Perhaps you are not strong enough for that. I do not ask you to pray. Perhaps you are too bewildered for that. I only ask you to let go and fall back into the arms of everlasting love.” T. DeWitt Talmage
This is the Jesus I know, the Jesus I trust with my soul and the Jesus I never fear will let me go.

No comments: