Saturday, July 31, 2021

 

What does a good church look like?

You may not like this because I evaluate a church differently than some. Now I'm an old guy in my seventies, so bear with me. For starters I want part of the congregation to look a certain way. I like to see folks dressed up and proper, but I also want to see a fella in jeans, T-shirt and a teardrop tattoo under his eye. I love to see women dressed like they respect the Lord's house, but then I want to see some gals dressed with skirts too short, pants too tight and hair in ways that would make my Grandma shudder and colors she'd never imagine! I want to see folk smoking in the parking lot and wonder at times if I didn't just smell a hint of alcohol on someone's breath. Then I know people are being brought to church in hope of change! I want to see wing-tips and cowboy boots.
When the music's playing I want to see hands going up and tears falling down! I want to hear a sermon as urgent as the times in which we live! Pastor’s veins popping, sweat flowing, heart breaking and pulpit shaking with words that tell the gospel story in impassioned pleas. I want to see the cross proudly mounted and passionately proclaimed!
I don't care much about videos, padded pews or basketball hoops, but let me hear the story of Jesus and feel His love in the members. And when the benediction comes, I want to hear prayers for blessings on marriages, children, finances and sickness, but also for those in recovery, single parents, the abused and molested.
When the service is over I want to see a flood of smiling children flowing from the Sunday School classes where they were taught about the love of Jesus and felt it there: and are more impressed by Him than the treats, games or technology.
If I see these things, I'm pretty sure they love the lost, last and least, and the future of Christianity looks optimistic because souls are being saved and children are learning of Him. I think this is the church for the 21st century. 

No comments: