Sunday, November 06, 2022

 



I saw this post on a site where atheists and Christians discuss their beliefs, I found the subject out of my comfort zone, but I wanted to say something, I just had to! So this is the discussion as it was said in hopes it may give you an example of how one Christian shares His faith.

Here are the comments when  I read it -- 

 "Actually, I think scientific realism is like thinking the flashlight is showing you reality, when you’re still in the dark room with the philosophers."

"I am not a dualist:

What do I have to do to become a naturalist-idealist-dualist?

--

My opinion:

(Among other things?) believe in metaphysics!?" 

So I didn't know what to say about any of that, but this is what I did say, and his response -- 

  This is such an interesting post. I'm not sure I can add much, this is really above my pay grade. But like the blind man when asked 'who healed you' replied, 'I don't know who he is, but I do know: I once was blind but now I see.'

 I was like that, I was in a dark room, not looking for a cat, but answers for real world problems. I didn't know the scientific basis for my woes, nor the psychological causes, I just knew I was empty within, that was perfectly clear, and I knew I had inner rage, insecurities, a driving ego, lusts without control, a spiritual blindness and a poor relationship with my wife. 

I had no idea why I was here, what I was supposed to do, or where I was going or where it would end. I did see a tiny light, so I followed it, and after fifty three years it has grown each year and answered all the questions I had and countless others I never fathomed. For me, Jesus was that light and He spread a little of it within me, and nothing has quenched it yet. 


His response -- "The way you seem to be thinking about it is the following; you were, at one point in the past, in a dark room, as it were. This dark room was a place of uncertainty, meaninglessness, and social problems. Once you found Jesus, you had an answer to these problems that worked, cohesively, with your situation. This means that the practical consequences, for you, of adopting Christianity as a belief and a lifestyle, was followed by a substantial improvement in your life, from a practical standpoint. You would seem to view this practical improvement as confirmation that the belief is true.

Is that accurate?"


I think you are right in all of what you said except the part, which to me is the most important part, and that is there was nothing cohesive in the demands of Christ. I would never, ever been able to follow His teachings if it were left up to me. I loved my lusts, I nursed my angers, my mind was not spiritual in any way and it all showed in my relationships, so how does one overcome that! It had been impossible, and to be honest, it still is today if it were not for the part that Jesus actively plays.

 From the first night that I sat down to take a look at the teachings of Jesus something happened that was outside of my experience and strange as it was I found it absolutely irresistible! Words fail to explain it but something descended on me, in me and through me, that brought every word to light and every command a joy! I was enveloped in what one might define as a heavenly glow, it was internal. I've come to understand now that it is the very thing Jesus promised to us, and He called it the Holy Spirit, the comforter, the helper. 

Wow! This shook my world! I think I may have heard the term, "A religious experience" but nothing in my life ever encountered it. I had been in love, been highly inspired by a person, music, acts of compassion, noble themes and heroic actions, but this, this was all of that wrapped up into one powerful, irresistible inner moving. Like they say, "Better felt than told." 

But whatever it was I wanted more of it! The next day I awoke and feared it would be gone, that it was just a caffein vision or some strange and wonderful mood, but it was there to greet me, and it continued to flood my soul intensely for the next six months! My heart, conscience, and reasoning all agreed, this was good and so good, I simply must follow it. 

That, again, was fifty three years ago, and I now understand the term, "The pearl of great price." It is my greatest joy, my refuge and my strength, an ever present gift. Forgive me while I gush LOL


No comments: