Thursday, September 24, 2009

One of my granddaughters was telling me about a foreign exchange student from Denmark she has befriended and took to church last night; she could tell the friend was uncomfortable and later her friend commented it was "too religious" for her. My granddaughter was disappointed and was considering how to beautify religion for her new friend. The two following quotes I ran across address the situation as clearly as anything that comes to mind.


"Jennie, the working girl, brings to me
Hope and trust and a gentler grace,
Though her words are few and her manner shy,
I can read a sermon in her sweet face;
For Jennie, the working girl, makes it plain,
That to live for others is richest gain."




"To be full of goodness, cheerfulness, sympathy, and of helpful hope, causes one to move on human life as stars move on dark seas to bewildered mariners. - author unknown


So we concluded the discussion by simply agreeing that if she will just be herself and live out her faith freely, and speak her words sparingly, her impact on her new friend may well be the sermon that wins her heart.

Poem Jennie by Harriet F. Crocker - top photo by Anna Pagnacco, bottom photo by Sune Wenelboe.

3 comments:

Matt said...

Oh no! Don't bring them to church, they'll never believe. But seriously I don't ask people to go to church with me unless they show interest in going themselves.

FCB said...

Hi Matt,
Sadly, oftentimes church puts obstacles and hindrances to meet the very God we are worshiping. I think your advice is often the right decision.
Love Dad

Joseph Pulikotil said...

Hi Fred:)

I am not sure if your grand daughter's friend is an atheist, otherwise why should she say--TOO RELIGIOUS. Your grand daughter tried and hopefully God will open her friend's eyes. Of course, the friend should have been mentally prepared before being invited to the church.

The quotes are lovely and photos are too good. I love the laughter in the first photo. It is a treat to watch that beautiful laugh.

Best wishes Fred:)
Joseph