Tuesday, January 27, 2015


   Last night at the corrections center was one of those nights you pray for; the anointing of God's presence was rich and filled the room, the words flowed, the attention was engaged and all of our hearts were touched. When my segment was finished, my fellow minister began to tie up and bring to conclusion the service with such a penetrating force of love that the Amen's were so prevalent I could scarcely hear at times. His last thoughts were of his wife whom he lost to a stroke just two months ago. He shared how he was in his car and Billy Joel's song, "Just The Way You Are," came on the radio and as he listened to the lyrics tears began to steam down his face. "I said I love you and that's forever, and this I promise from my heart, I couldn't love you any better, I love you just the way you are." So he told the inmates he wanted to sing it for them. As he began to sing we could all hear the love in his heart as the words of his song seemed directed to each one there and the moment of love and harmony was such as I have never seen before. Half way through, as many as new the words, began to sing with him and as he concluded the room roared with heartfelt applause. It was as though he sang that song to each person there and many of us were moved to tears and all to thankfulness. 


No comments: