Tuesday, May 18, 2021


 

A couple of years ago when I was done preaching at the mission, and they began setting up the tables, this black guy was helping and he kindly asked a white gal to move her backpack so they could set up the table. She was no doubt on something and she just had a meltdown! She began SCREAMING F--- you N-----!!!!! And she continued to scream the same thing over and over again, at least thirty times! I was about 20 feet away and kind of stunned, and expected him to scream back and see this escalate into who knows what? But he didn't, he kept his composure and continued to set the table up. Finally, after about a full minute of her screaming at him, I could see he was getting heated and he walked away from her while she was still screaming as they finally ushered her out. (no small task) When he came by me I put my hand on his shoulder and said, "that was the greatest display of Christian charity I've ever seen." We ended up becoming pretty friendly after that.
`Now an interesting thing is, there were thirty people lined up against the wall waiting for dinner, and almost no one there even glanced over to see what was going on, it was, "business as usual" no big deal. Street life exposes you to all of life's extremes. That really got me.

No comments: