Monday, January 15, 2024

 


The Christian walk is one of ever expanding revelation. Or it should be... 

One of the biggest changes the Lord has taken me through has been working and volunteering in Jails, Missions and Christian drug and alcohol recovery programs. 

The impact this made on me is incalculable, the lessons immeasurable, the bonds of Christian love created, countless. In the 'halls of mercy' within these programs Christ shed His grace so powerfully that words can't begin to describe. 

The jails, missions and recovery programs are where men and women look their demons in the eyes, and with the help and guidance of caring staff, they confront those demons and learn faith, repentance and begin the journey to joy and wholeness. 

I'm not sure how to state what I feel about it, so I'll clumsily try and explain. 

Before these experiences, much of my Christian life centered around Church, Family, Bible study, Fellowship, and dabbling in Christian charities and service. All of these things are so important, they were before, and they are now, but after experiencing the involvements with those in true crisis, well, I think it can be summed up with the lyrics to Ray LaMontagne's song "Empty."  

 "Well, I looked my demons in the eyes

Lay bare my chest, said, "Do your best to destroy me"

See, I've been to hell and back so many times

I must admit you kinda bore me." 

To paraphrase that I'd say, I've watched people look their demons in the eye, lay themselves open to God's miraculous workings, and even though hell bound them for a season, I've witnessed Christ crush the jaws of evil and let the captives free, and after all I've seen, to go back to the level of Christianity I knew before.......

I must admit, it kind of bores me. 


No comments: