Thursday, May 30, 2024


 Bunnies and wolves, how my rabbit helps in rescue work

“Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.” Matthew‬ ‭11‬:‭28‬-‭29‬ ‭

"I sat there by the blue desk, it’s the first stop in a woman’s entrance into the Crisis Shelter. 

This is where all the entry requirements unfold and the look on faces always moves my heart. 

Many terrified, bewildered, exhausted, anxious, perturbed and paranoid looks greet kindness, smiles, rules and procedures. 

It’s administration and mercy meeting in the chaos of madness, trauma and desperation.

 It takes very special women to hold these frontlines in the cultural battles of our city.

I come armed with pictures and videos of me and my bunny.

It’s unconventional warfare against the hells and horrors devouring lives in abuse, addictions among the frayed fabric of broken homes, 

society systems 

and personal choices and relationships.

Mom looked frazzled and on high alert, complete defense mode and her two little disheveled daughters were in tow.

One was clinging desperately to her stuffed rabbit like a drowning person would cling to a life preserver. 

Her bunny was grey, drab, rough and reminiscent of the well loved velveteen rabbit.


I gently told her that I liked her rabbit and that I had a rabbit too. A white, fluffy, blue-eyed snuggle bunny named Chester. 

I told her I had a video of him if she wanted to see.

Mom looked at me with dagger eyes and the girls were intrigued, but hesitant. 

I held my phone up to mom and asked if it was ok to show them? She reluctantly said yes with one hand on her proverbial pistol ready to fire and the other filling out paperwork. 

The kids distracted was a small grace as she attended to the tasks at hand.

They came closer as my video played and they caught sight of Chester’s adorableness. 

There were oos and ahhs as he gave them a brief break in the tornado of trauma swirling all around them. 

You could tell they wanted to reach out and touch him.


My heart ached to reach out and stroke their straggly hair, 

to hold them in my arms as I do my own granddaughters 

and to bless them in love soaked prayers. 

But respectful distance was demanded in the tense atmosphere of business and rescue.


The girls were rotated through required residential pictures and other details, I sat holding vigil before God in my heart and mind.


Then the littlest girl came back to me to ask to see the video again. I whole heartedly obliged.

This is the ministry of presence, 

the simple but meaningful witness of the “gentle and lowly” heart and hands of Jesus.

Welcoming His rescued lambs with calming love as they enter the shelter from the storm of wolves outside 

with my bunny rabbit and soft words of attentive care and concern."


Pastor Eric. 

No comments: