Monday, June 01, 2009

Foes to success

"Over-sensitiveness, whether in man or women, is really an exaggerated form of self-consciousness. It is far removed from conceit or self-esteem, yet it causes one’s personality to overshadow everything else. A sensitive person feels that, whatever he does, wherever he goes, or whatever he says, he is the center of observation. He imagines that people are criticizing his movements, making fun at his expense, or analyzing his character, when they are probably not thinking of him at all. He does not realize that other people are too busy and too much interested in themselves and other things to devote to him any of their time beyond what is absolutely necessary. When he thinks they are aiming remarks at him, putting slights upon him, or trying to hold him up to the ridicule of others, they may not be even conscious of his presence."

This piece by Orison Swett Marden is just a snippet from his chapter on Foes to Success, things that hold us back. When I was young I was very bashful, to the point I would cry bloody murder if someone just wanted to take my picture. When I was older and got into business I was forced to talk with strangers and eventually I overcame shyness. But I still find a degree of discomfort when I enter a room full of strangers. I have learned how crippling self-conciousness can be to some; but I find his assessment above is generally true. Most people are far to self absorbed to spend time considering others.

Photo by Sergio Passolano

5 comments:

Mel said...

Greetings, Fred! :)

That picture is precious. And I must confess that this post hits quite close to home for me. I've spent my life being self-conscious and assuming the worst about what people were thinking about me. God has helped me overcome that in the last few years, and what a weight has been lifted from my heart! People need to think about and embrace this truth... Their lives would be easier.

God bless you! :)

MaryMGlynn said...

This one reminds me of me, especially when I was younger. Not so much now.
Good post and so sadly true!!

Unknown said...

Hi Fred, this is so sad but also true. I have always been very self-conscious myself for much of my life but as Mel said, God is helping me to overcome that by teaching me to be more 'God-conscious'.

I am actually doing a book study at church right now that talked about this very thing and recently read the following: "When our thoughts are consumed with others' thoughts toward us-we are walking in the fear of man".

God bless!

FCB said...

Hi Mel,
Isn't that picture about the cutest thing you ever saw!
I'm glad you liked and could relate to this practical piece. I wonder if we can't all relate to a degree? We have strong fronts but underneath, jello.
God bless,
Fred



Hi Mary,
Seems like we were all very self-conscious when we were young, but life has a way of beating that out of most of us. Or so we say :)
Love Fred



To be more God conscious, mmmm, I like that and I like the quote as well. Interesting you are coincidently doing a study on this very thing, I was concerned that it wouldn't have that much appeal.
God bless,
Fred

Joseph Pulikotil said...

Hi Fred:)

Very revealing post.

I would say that all human beings are subject to this weakness. We always think that others are talking about us, laughing behind our backs, criticizing us and so on. As a result we are not able to be normal and we always try to be artificial and put on a show.

It requires a lot of effort on our part to understand that others are also human beings like us and they have their own self consciousness, their worries, their problems and so on.

Your post is very useful because it gives us a chance to sit and think about this great useless weakness.

Have a nice day Fred:)
Joseph