Saturday, January 12, 2019



  "I have a friend who is the most delightful and easy company in the world when we are alone together, but he is a sensitive and highly strung creature, much affected by personal influences, and when I meet him in the company of other people he is often almost unrecognizable. His mind becomes critical, combative, acrid; he does not say what he means, he is touched by a vague excitement, and there passes over him an unnatural sort of brilliance, of a hard and futile kind, which makes him sacrifice considerations and friendliness to the instinctive desire to produce an affect and to score a point. I sometimes detest him when he is one of a circle. I feel inclined to say to him, "if only you could let your real self appear and drop this tiresome posturing and fencing, you would be as delightful as you are to me when I'm alone with you; but his hectic tittering and feverish jocosity is not only not your real self but it gives others an impression of a totally unreal and not very agreeable person." But, alas, this is just the sort of thing one cannot say to a friend." Arthur Benson.


No comments: