Saturday, April 05, 2008

Distressing disguise


"If sometimes our poor people have had to die of starvation, it is not because God didn't care for them, but because you and I didn't give, were not instruments of love in the hands of God, to give them bread, to give them clothing; because we did not recognize him, when once more Christ came in distressing disguise -- in the hungry man, in the lonely man, in the homeless child, and seeking for shelter."
When I came across this picture it repelled me and I passed by it quickly, but then I had a prompting to go back and look upon him as someone God loves. It has been difficult, and when I thought about posting him, at first I thought him to distressing to add. But as I overcame the shock of his afflictions, I knew I had to post him, with Proverbs 28:27 in mind - "He who gives to the poor will lack nothing, but he who closes his eyes to them receives many curses." I wonder if the "many curses" are those we endure because of a heart that becomes trained to shut off needs and the resulting lack of depth to our lives?
Mother Teresa - Photo by J F Ochoa, Abandoned

3 comments:

MaryMGlynn said...

Fred this powerful. I would love some of your blog posts for our newsletters. Just love this post!!!

FCB said...

Feel free to take anything you want and use it in your newsletter. I would be flattered.
I always like to include the photographer's name with the pictures.
Glad you like this, it is a haunting picture,
Love Fred

Donna said...

So horribly beautiful he is.