Saturday, December 13, 2008

The deep things of God


"My Lord,
For about six weeks past I have had occasion to spend several hours of almost every day with the sick and dying. These scenes are to a minister like walking the hospitals to a young surgeon. The various cases which occur exemplify, illustrate, and explain, with a commanding energy, many truths which may be learned indeed at home, but cannot be so well understood or their force so sensibly felt without the advantage of experience and observation.

I have a poor girl near me who looks like an idiot (one of weak intellect) and her natural capacity is indeed very small; but the Lord has been pleased to make her acquainted alternately with great temptations and proportionably great discoveries of His love and truth. Some times when her heart is enlarged I listen to her with astonishment. I think no books or ministers I ever met with have given me such an impression and understanding of what the apostle styles “The deep things of God”, as I have upon some occasion received from her conversations.”
John Newton - Photo by Banhup Teh

3 comments:

Joseph Pulikotil said...

Hi Fred :)

Very moving post and the photo makes me gasp in admiration at the fathomless ingenuity of the Creator.

Have a nice day :)

Mel said...

I love and appreciate and rejoice with you over this beautiful post and picture. Praise God, Fred! Isn't He amazing? He uses the weak and humble to confound those who think they are strong and wise, over and over again. :)

FCB said...

Hi Joseph,
I too was taken by this photo. I have often seen this very smile on the faces of 'challenged'people. It is captivating to me to see such joy radiating from one who faces interminable obstacles. I like to imagine God gives special graces to those who struggle so.
Her smile would testify to it don't you think?
God bless,
Fred


Hi Mel,
Yes! He is amazing! This post brings me to tears each time I read it, and the picture of this sweet little gal so moves me, words fail to express. I had two Foster Girls, sisters, about her age, one had mild mental problems and her sister had emotional problems, predictably a sexually abusive father. I'm afraid at the time I did not have the maturity to meet their needs and ended up returning them to DHS. It was very emotional and although I don't know what I could have done differently at that time of my life, I always regretted having failed.
This picture haunts me a little but also brings great joy. I see Jesus spread wide across her face.
Praise His care,
Fred