Saturday, April 04, 2009


"Rely not on others. Let there be in your own bosom a calm, deep, decided and all-pervading principle. Look first, midst and last to God to aid you in the great task before you. Then plant your foot on the right. Let others live as they please tainted by low tastes, debasing passions, a moral putrefaction. Be ye the salt of the earth. Incorrupt in your deeds, in your inmost thoughts and feelings. Nay, more incorruptible like virtue herself. Your manners blameless. Your views of duty not narrow, false and destructive, but a savor of life to all around you. Let your speech be always with grace seasoned with the salt of truth, honor, manliness, and benevolence. Wait not for the lash of guilt to scourge you to the path of God and heaven. Be of the prudent who foresee the evil and hide themselves from it. Not like the simple, who pass on and are punished. Life to youth is a fairy tale just opened. Old age, a tale read through ending in death. Be wise in time that you may be happy in eternity."
The four quotes above are from "The Royal Path of Life". Picture from the Internet.

5 comments:

Joseph Pulikotil said...

Hello Fred :)

Very useful post. I have to learn a lot.

Many thanks.

Best wishes :)

Unknown said...

Those four were excellent. They nailed what I was trying to get at in my post on the same subject. In my my post you poo poo'd with the castrating word "idealistic"...how on earth was mine more idealistic than these four...for heavens sake!

These were awesome, I'm going to use them in my upcoming series of messages on James. Fantastic sounding book.

BTW...I'm reading peter rollins second book "The fidelity of truth" have you read any of his yet?

Unknown said...

oops, I mixed up some emails or something, you didnt say the "idealistic" comment..sorry I must be getting all my critics mixed up...sorry, sometimes its hard getting all bows connected with the arrows or it could of been my knee jerkiness not sure....forgive me father.

anyhoo...these four are still really, really good...my inane comments aside.

Mel said...

This is my absolute favorite of the four posts. I'm going to print it out, carry it with me and reread it a few dozen times and let God truly anchor this in my heart. It goes right along with something I was reading in Matthew yesterday:

Matthew 23: 8-10 "But you are not to be called 'Rabbi,' for you have only one Master and you are all brothers. And do not call anyone on earth 'father,' for you have one Father, and he is in heaven. Nor are you to be called 'teacher,' for you have one Teacher, the Christ."

Thank God for Bible Gateway. :) And I thank God for you, Fred, because you are such a source of encouragement and brotherhood.

FCB said...

Hi Joseph,
I appreciate your comments,
Fred



Hi Eric,
I'm glad I didn't say that horrid word, far from it for me to call you or your thoughts "idealistic", that idealism of yours has birthed many a wonderful work.
Love Dad




Hi Mel,
That is a great scripture, and one that is rarely preached on. It is a difficult one to balance isn't it?, but so necessary. It kind of dovetails in with 1Jn. 2:27
God bless you fellow traveller,
Fred