Sunday, June 15, 2008



The following piece is by Jonathan Edwards. This was found in his journal. Edwards was considered one of the most mystical of the Puritans and in this piece he shares the moment of divine rapture. Jonathan Edwards was used by God in the great spiritual awakening during the 1700s. Thanks to Mel for sharing with me a book about Edwards by John Piper.

Sometimes, only mentioning a single word caused my heart to burn
within me; or only seeing the name of Christ, or the name of some
attribute of God. . . . The sweetest joys and delights I have experienced,
have not been those that have arisen from a hope of my own good
estate, but in a direct view of the glorious things of the gospel.
Once, as I rode out into the woods for my health, in 1737, having
alighted from my horse in a retired place, as my manner commonly has
been, to walk for divine contemplation and prayer, I had a view that for
me was extraordinary, of the glory of the Son of God, as Mediator
between God and man, and his wonderful, great, full, pure and sweet
grace and love, and meek and gentle condescension. This grace that
appeared so calm and sweet, appeared also great above the heavens. The
person of Christ appeared ineffably excellent with an excellency great
enough to swallow up all thought and conception—which continued,
as near as I can judge, about an hour; which kept me the greater part of
the time in a flood of tears and weeping aloud. I felt an ardency of soul
to be, what I know not otherwise how to express, emptied and annihilated;
to lie in the dust, and to be full of Christ alone; to love Him with
a holy and pure love; to trust in Him; to live upon Him; to serve and
follow Him; and to be perfectly sanctified and made pure, with a divine
and heavenly purity. I have, several other times, had views very much
of the same nature, and which have had the same effects.

Picture by Paula Grenside.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I could do with one of those trips! -Matt

Mel said...

Thank you so much for posting this. This is why I love reading Edwards, and reading Piper when he's talking about Edwards. These words serve to whet my spiritual appetite and instill a craving for more of God -- His heart, His passion, truth, beauty and righteousness -- a craving that is so powerful that all other desires pale in comparison.

FCB said...

Yes,I need one of those trips as well. These kind of intimate testimonies, from people I admire and trust, do whet my appetite and make me hunger for greater revelation. God spare me if I settle for less.